A: Follow this advice to take acetaminophen safely:
- Read all the information given to you by your doctor and follow directions.
- Read the information on the OTC “Drug Facts” label or on the prescription label and follow directions.
- Be sure you understand the following:
– the dose, which is how much acetaminophen you can take at one time
– how many hours you must wait before taking another dose of acetaminophen
– how many doses of acetaminophen you can take safely each day
– when to stop taking acetaminophen and ask a doctor for help
- Never take more than directed, even if your pain or fever isn’t any better. Taking more acetaminophen than directed can put you at risk for liver damage.
- Never take more than one medicine that contains acetaminophen. Check the active ingredients of all your medicines to make sure you are taking no more than one medicine containing acetaminophen at a time.